“I know the solution. When we have a world of only now with no shadows of yesterdays or clouds of tomorrow, then saying what we can do will work.”
- Goldie Ivener
The following are some helpful hints many people who have stopped drinking have found useful to fill some of the needs that drinking once did. For example, many people who what to quit for awhile feel a sudden loss when they don’t have that drink at a party to feel social.
- Find other things to do with your hands. Playing with things like string, a straw, a smooth pebble, or a water bottle can be helpful.
- Make sure to have a substitute drink, such as Gatorade, coke, or water.
- If you are in a class and start to feel antsy or irritable, carry a small pad of paper and pencil with you for doodling.
Create a list of goals that will motivate you to feel that you are doing something valued.
- Check out volunteer experiences on campus or in the community.
- Find a new student activity.
- Plan something special to do with siblings when you get home.
Again, these are just suggestions that can help, but only if you make it your priority to do them.