Of those Notre Dame students who choose to drink, the majority do so responsibly; 98% report using at least one harm reduction strategy.
Harm Reduction Strategies for Reducing Risk
- Alternate non-alcoholic with alcoholic beverages
- Avoid drinking games
- Choose not to drink alcohol
- Determine, in advance, not to exceed a set number of drinks
- Eat before and/or during drinking, especially protein
- Have a friend let you know when you have had enough
- Keep track of how many drinks you are having
- Pace your drinks to 1 or fewer per hour
- Stay with the same group of friends the entire time you are drinking
- Stick with only one kind of alcohol when drinking
- Use a designated driver
The information in this section will help you to make responsible, informed, and safe decisions regarding alcohol, should you choose to socialize with alcohol.
- Visit our substance abuse risk reduction page to learn more about our services regarding alcohol.
- Contact McWell to schedule a visit with a staff member that can assist you regarding substance abuse risk reduction.